Monday, April 23, 2012

Things Not Seen

Faith is not easy. Songwriter Andrew Peterson says, "Faith is a burden.. it's a weight to bear".  It's why even those of us who claim to have it constantly fight the urge to live without it. It's easier to walk by sight, isn't it? But the problem with trying to walk by sight is, we have poor eyesight. This is why when we walk by sight we really just end up stumbling through this world like a drunken fool wearing a blindfold, completely unaware of how inept we really are. This is why when pain, and tragedy, and death cross my path I feel like my path is a treadmill set on high speed. I'm alone and going nowhere fast, but I'm going. Because I'd rather not have to bear this pesky faith burden, thank you very much. I'd like my answers to come quickly and be packaged neatly in a Google search with the highest rated answers listed first. If only Jesus had texting.
Yet even the disciples who walked and talked and ate with Jesus had the same struggles. As soon as He left their line of sight they were hiding in a room, wringing their hands in despair. How could they so soon forget His promises?
How could I so soon forget His promises? Yes, faith is a burden, but could it also be a gift? Without this weight pressing down amidst the doubt, pain, and unanswered questions I would never hear him gently whisper, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me...and you will find rest".  Without the darkness I would never reach out my hands to let Him guide me. Yes, "blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed". 
When the darkness closes in and the burden is pressing down so hard I can barely breathe, I will be still and I will not forget. Even if it takes all the strength within me, I will whisper back to Him, "I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe.....".

No comments:

Post a Comment